This blog is all about trying new things and if you have read my About Me page you’ll have some idea of the background on why I started this blog. I aim to share my new things with you, because maybe one of my new things might be something that you are interested in and it might become your new thing.
So, in this inaugural post, the new thing I am trying is this blog. And surprisingly, even though I have been thinking about this for a while, I just took the plunge this morning. I sat down at my computer and did some quick research on starting a blog and low and behold by the end of the day, I have a new blog and a first post.
Basically there were 6 steps in getting up and running:
- Choose a host – I chose GoDaddy because they had their prices listed in Canadian $ and I live in Canada and earn in Canadian $ – so that was important to me.
- Choose a plan – I went for the basic plan, because it was the least expensive and I am just starting out on this new adventure.
- Choose your domain name – I chose justsomethingnew.com because it best represented what I wanted to say.
- Choose your plan length – I chose one year because I thought I needed to give this project a year to see if it works.
- Enter your credit card information.
- Then follow the instructions to set up a Word Press Blog.
Now, I must admit that I have had some experience with the back end of a Word Press website – but by no means am I an expert. If you’ve had no experience with Word Press and you have limited computer skills, you may need to ask a more experienced friend for help or work through some online tutorials before you get the hang of things.
This new thing wasn’t that hard and I expect I am going to get a lot of satisfaction out of it. In fact, if you check back in six weeks, I’ll let you know how it’s going. I am sure I’m going to make tons of mistakes, but that is all part of learning something new.